Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS)

In Gippsland, the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) is part of Latrobe Community Health Service.

Government-subsidised aged care services

If you need some help at home or are considering moving into an aged care home, you may first need a free assessment to work out if you are eligible to receive government-subsidised aged care services.

In Gippsland, the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) is part of Latrobe Community Health Service. We have a team of health professionals with expertise in health care and community services for frail, aged people, and younger people with disabilities.

The Aged Care Assessment Service can help identify the type of care services to help you to stay at home. It can also provide you with eligibility for care in an aged care home. Your wishes are always listened to and considered, and you will never be forced to make any decisions about your future during your assessment.

You are welcome to have someone else – perhaps a friend, family member, independent aged care advocate or your carer – attend your assessment with you for extra support.

When do I need an ACAS assessment?

You will need an ACAS assessment if you want to:

  • access aged care services through any type of Home Care Package
  • receive services through the Transition Care Program
  • receive certain respite services
  • enter into an aged care home.

What happens at an ACAS assessment?

Your doctor or nurse may refer you to an ACAS for an assessment if they think you need some extra help. Or, you may like to contact us on 1800 242 696 to arrange your own assessment.

We will make a time to come to your home (or the hospital, if you’re currently in hospital) and talk to you about how well you’re managing in your day-to-day life.

The following steps briefly outline what you can expect to happen at an ACAS assessment.


  • will ask your permission to conduct the assessment
  • may ask your permission to talk to your doctor to discuss your medical history before they meet with you. But only if you agree, and we will record your consent


  • will ask you if you wish to apply for approval to receive certain aged care services. We will explain these service options to you, and if you do want to apply, we will ask you to sign an application form or the Aged Care Client Record
  • will ask you questions about your day-to-day living activities and if you need help with all or some of them. We’ll also talk to you about your general state of health and specific health conditions. This will help us work out how much and what type of help you need
  • will talk to you about whether they think you need more support so you can keep living in your own home, or if we think you might be better supported in an aged care home
  • will give you information about all of the services that may be available in your local area.

After the assessment

Once you have had the ACAS assessment, you will receive a letter to tell you if you have been approved as eligible for government services. Your letter will tell you what type of services you’re eligible for and approved to receive, as well as the reasons why. You will also receive a copy of your completed Aged Care Client Record.

You should keep a copy of your completed record because you will need to show this record to organisations to confirm that you are eligible to receive government-subsidised aged care services.

The ACAS register

The government allocates a set number of assistance packages for Gippsland each year. Once you have received your ACAS assessment, you will be placed on a register. When an assistance package becomes available, providers in the region will contact you to ask if you would like to take up that package through their service.

You can specify that you only wish to be contacted by your preferred service provider.

If you are assessed as needing urgent assistance, your care will be prioritized.

How long is an ACAS approval valid for?

The ACAS approval will remain valid unless:

  • it has a time restriction applied
  • you are approved for low-level residential care and your needs have changed requiring high level residential respite care.
  • you are approved for the Transition Care Program, in which case the outcome is valid for four weeks beginning the day after the approval is given.


The service is aimed at:

  • frail, aged individuals with complex care needs
  • younger people with a disability who have high and / or complex needs and are eligible for Commonwealth funded residential care.


The aged care assessment service is free


Direct referrals and calls for advice are welcomed from clients, carers and family members.

Health professionals can make a referral on PCP SCTT form from service providers, referral via S2S.

On receiving a referral, initial contact is made to arrange for an assessment to take place. Preferably this is undertaken in your own home to discuss needs and identify a range of options.