The School Readiness program works with more than 60 kindergartens across Latrobe, Baw Baw, Bass Coast and South Gippsland. It works to build the capacity of educators and families to support children in 3 priority areas:
- Communication- Language development
- Wellbeing- social and emotional regulation
- Access and inclusion
The School Readiness program is funded by the Department of Education and Training (DET). The kindergartens that School Readiness works with are determined by DET. Our team includes speech pathologists, occupational therapists, psychologist and social emotional wellbeing officer.
Speech pathology in schools
Our support doesn’t stop once your little one starts school. We deliver the Speech Pathology in Schools program to a number of schools across inner Gippsland. This program focusses on enhancing the capability and capacity of educators and families to improve:
- language learning environments and
- teaching interactions for students with speech, language and communications difficulties.
The Speech Pathology in Schools program is funded by the Department of Education and Training (DET). The schools that Speech Pathology in Schools works with are determined by DET. Our team includes speech pathologists and occupational therapists.
School outreach nursing
Our school outreach nurses provide support including:
- referrals to appropriate services
- health screening
- health and wellness education
- asthma, anaphylaxis and diabetes plan management
- vision, hearing and dental checks
- take home packs (e.g. hygiene packs) to support families and more.
The school outreach nurses aim to improve health outcomes for children and to provide capacity building to the teachers and other school staff.This service is available to specific schools identified by the Department of Health and Human Services / the Department of Education and Training. It aims to improve overall health outcomes for children and their families.
The school outreach nursing program is jointly funded by the Latrobe Health Assembly and Department of Education and Training (DET).