At Latrobe Community Health Service, there is a nurse who works only with refugees and new arrivals.
The nurse can check your health and connect you to other services like the doctor, dentist or counsellor.
The nurse can also talk to groups at schools or other venues about:
- looking after your health
- the importance of eating well
Social and community support
Latrobe Community Health Service can help refugees and new arrivals in many areas, including:
- paying bills
- income support through Centrelink.
We also work with other agencies to provide information and education about issues like:
- home safety
- getting your children ready for school
- cost of living
- looking for a job.
Many other support services are available. Phone Latrobe Community Health Service on 1800 242 696 to discuss your situation.
Gippsland Multicultural Strategic Plan
The new Gippsland Multicultural Strategic Plan builds on the key themes of:
- ensuring accessible education
- breaking down barriers
- creating a sense of belonging.
The plan is the result of an extensive research and consultation process. We spoke with:
- skilled migrants
- service providers
- refugees and other immigrants.
The plan aims to make Gippsland a more welcoming place to live, no matter where people come from. It builds on the work of Gippsland’s many services and agencies, with four main goals in mind:
- Promote unity, harmony and connection
- Improve work and education outcomes
- Increase the ease of access to services
- Improve health outcomes
Funding is available for projects that address any service gaps the plan identifies.
View the Gippsland Multicultural Strategic Plan here.
Download the list of funded programs for year one here.
- People in Gippsland who are refugees or humanitarian entrants
- Dependants of a migrant with low English skill who lives in Gippsland
Other criteria may apply. Phone Latrobe Community Health Service on 1800 242 696 to discuss your situation.